July 11: Zebco Fishing Rod & Reel

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - Posted by 366 White Elephants at 11:58 PM
Given to Barry from Bob.

I've never met anyone named Barry until this evening and it was pretty fantastic.  Next on the bucket list is meeting people named La'Shaina, Telly, and Regis.

It was double feature of ironies today.  First off, Barry's son just happens to need a new fishing reel and rod and it just happens that Barry is taking him on a fishing trip this upcoming weekend.  And it just happens that Bob gave Barry a fishing rod and reel.  The one Barry's son had been using was Pirates of the Caribbean themed and made for a 4-year old.

Barry and I don't work too far from each other, but up until today, we had never met in person,  coordinating this exchange by phone through a mutual acquaintance.  He asked me what I did for work and after I told him, he said he came in for breakfast this morning in the cafeteria that resides in the basement of the building I work in!

The naming of a star will get him
past 3rd base
Barry
-Profession: Biomedical Engineer

-Favorite baseball base:  3rd

-The 1703-Barry is an asteroid discovered by Max Wolf and named after astronomer Roger Barry.  If you could name an astronomical body, which one would it be and who would you name it after?:  Probably a star for my wife Heidi.  It would make up for all the anniversary presents I've forgotten and all the times she's felt neglected in one fell swoop.

-Barry University in south Florida graduated Amy Diaz, a Miss Teen USA in 2001, Miss Rhode Island in 2008, Miss Earth USA in 2008 and, in 2009, Miss Earth.  What do you think has changed about her dainty wave over that period of time?:  She's gone from using all five digits on her hand to just one.

-You're the 17th bearded gift exchanger.  Are you jolly?:  I was jolly my whole life and I was known for it.  My jolliness started to tail off around 40.  Now at 50, it's almost gone.  If you get a couple bottles of wine in me, the jolliness perks back up.