March 29: RC Olmstead swag

Thursday, March 29, 2012 - Posted by 366 White Elephants at 11:35 PM
Given to Taryn from Lisa.
Where's the logoed stress ball?
Quite the gift pack here...eye glass wipe, jump drive, frisbee, mug, light/laser pointer, koozie, pen and band-aid holder.  And they're all from one location--RC Olmstead--that develops software for credit unions.  The stuff you see here are the kinds of things you'd pick up at a trade show or career fair or something like it.

About a month ago, I was at a career fair.  When I go to fairs, I make it a point to talk to the people who have no business at their booth.  The goal here is two-fold: 1) attract a crowd to their area; and 2) help pass the time for the person who probably wishes they were back in his/her Ford Fusion and on their way home.

"This is way cooler than the wallet
light!"
I also find it's a great place to flex my bartering skills.  For example, I will pick up some stuff and then try to see what I can get in a trade back.  Here is one trade I made: 1 tooth stress ball, 3 Fun Size Butterfingers (no joke intended here), and a pamphlet on retirement accounts for a Jimmy John's chocolate chip cookie, 2 notepads with a study abroad program logo on top and a player to be named later.

Taryn
-Profession: Non-Profit Professional

-Favorite Continent: Europe

-When you're doing really well at something, do you say you're 'tearin' it up'?: I'll say that or killin' it.  Actually, some ex-boyfriends and friends quote the N'Sync song and tell me I'm 'tearin' up their heart'.

-Your job is to promote community engagement.  Would a campfire, alcohol or obstacle course event be the best at community building?:  I'd say obstacle course because people can work in teams.  The best would be the kid's game where you have to get everyone across the alligator-infested pond.

-You have curly hair.  Why do girls with curly hair go to great lengths to straighten it?:  Maybe because it's unflattering.  I will sometimes change it up, but it's what I've got and it's easy.  I like it.