February 17: LED touch panel phone and Dora the Explorer party invitations

Friday, February 17, 2012 - Posted by 366 White Elephants at 11:54 PM
Given to Justin from Maria.

If you're feeling a little down on life, here's a story that will lift your spirits.  Justin's pretty short on friends and it's been that way most of his life. That's why he was quite thrilled with his gift today.  He got a new LED touch panel phone whose features include an electronic calendar, calculator, nightlight, and--what Justin was most intrigued by--hold music.  That's part one.

Part two involves his lack of friends, well, soon to be non lack of friends.  As Justin and I were talking, he had this brainstorm to send out these eight Dora the Explorer cards out to some acquaintances to have them come over to play with his new phone.  He'd coax them into putting their numbers into his phone so he could call them when he felt like eating pizza with someone.  Yay!

The "bicycle pump" dance move
hits too close to home
Justin
-Profession: Graduate student

-Favorite dance move: bump-and-shuffle--it's a white guy dance move

-You've hiked the Appalachian Trail.  Any similarities to the Oregon Trail video game?:  There's rampant dysentery, every so often you have to ford a river, you do start out with more money if you're a doctor, and Zeke is a popular trail name...and he usually dies.

Meet your new neighborhood paperboy


-You biked over to meet me today.  Are you an avid cyclist?:  I am.  But I have had my share of spills.  Once, a guy turned right in front of me and cut me off, forcing me to swerve and hit a pot hole.  I rolled end over end on the pavement--ripped my clothes and got pretty bloodied.

I landed right by this bus stop.  A woman came over and asked how I was.  She said I could pedal back to the hospital, which was a few streets back.  Then this guy at the stop came over and was appreciating my bike.  He told me that  it looked I knew what I was doing around bicycles.  He then asked me if I had a cigarette.

-Do you just have a road bike or do you ride other kinds of cycles?:  I like my tall bike.  It's about five and a half feet up to the seat.  When you ride it, people wave to you.  It makes you feel like the mayor in a small town.